After much discussion: Martine Voss-Tecklenburg and the DFB part ways

DThe German Football Association (DFB) and Martina Voss-Tecklenburg have ended their cooperation. The association announced on Saturday afternoon that the contract of the women’s team’s national coach had been terminated “with immediate effect”. Earlier, until late Friday evening, a discussion took place at the German Football Association’s Frankfurt campus in which new sporting director Andreas Rettig presented his position on the 55-year-old, who appeared accompanied by her lawyer. The shareholders’ meeting and the supervisory board of DFB GmbH approved the immediate split at a meeting on Saturday morning as the announcement continued.

After what the DFB called “a careful analysis of the disappointing performance” at the World Cup in Australia, it was agreed “that the team needed a fresh start in terms of sporting leadership.” On 8 September the DFB announced that Voss-Tecklenburg had fallen ill. During her subsequent vacation, she appeared in public and raised eyebrows. The former striker gave a lecture in October at the Day of Bavarian Dentists in Munich and at the forum of the Federal Association of German Prefabricated Construction in Bremen.

Little understanding from her team

The coach later said that the association had been informed of the private meetings. She also added that she is “almost healthy again” and would like to continue in her responsible position at the DFB. She is in “regular confidential exchanges” with the DFB to ensure that her employer is aware of all the circumstances surrounding her personal situation.

Voss-Tecklenburg’s behavior did not attract much sympathy from her team, who were temporarily looked after by Horst Hrubesch for about 14 days. “I would like something different so that people would say, okay, let’s find out what happened at the World Cup first and then maybe go on holiday,” midfielder Lena Oberdorf said recently. In the title fights, the Germans, who had previously called themselves favorites, were eliminated in the preliminary round.

After returning home from Down Under, there were increasing signs that misunderstandings had arisen between the team and the coach, which seriously disrupted the working environment. Recently, there have been no clear signals from the players that they would like to continue working at Voss-Tecklenburg. “We are open to everything. Ultimately, we have to work with the coach we have,” said goalkeeper Anne-Katrin Berger (Chelsea) during preparations for the Nations League games; The German national team won both Wales (5:1) and Iceland (2:0) and thereby retained its chances of qualifying for the Olympics.

“I think you noticed that the team was extremely relaxed. I also have a personal feeling of a new beginning. I am glad that Horst and his coaching team are with us in this situation,” Bayern player Linda Dallmann commented on the situation at the time: “We are very interested in implementing Horst’s ideas.”

DFB President Bernd Neuendorf thanked Voss-Tecklenburg for its commitment since 2018. “During this time, important impulses were given in the field of women’s football.” In particular, reaching the final of the European Championship in England in the summer of 2022. gave women’s and women’s football a “huge boost”. “This success was and remains due to Martine Voss-Tecklenburg.” Neuendorf wished her “all the best personally and athletically” for the future.

The contract with Voss-Tecklenburg was extended prematurely until mid-2025 in April, not least at the initiative of Neuendorf. There was no information on the terms of the now-required severance package from the DFB, whose executive board adopted a “austerity course” in July to reduce a 15 million euro structural deficit. The 15-line message did not include a statement from Voss-Tecklenburg.

Source: Frantfurter Allgemeine

Get in Touch

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Related Articles

Latest Posts