DFSV Mainz 05 have responded to their continued misery in the Bundesliga by parting ways with coach Jan Siewert. The penultimate team, which had not won eleven games, released the 41-year-old footballer on Monday – he had been in post for only three months. Siewert’s successor will be unveiled on Tuesday afternoon, the Rheinhessen newspaper announced.
“Unfortunately, we now see a change in coaching position as a necessary step in order to achieve a positive turnaround,” sporting director Christian Heidel said ahead of the next game against Augsburg on Saturday (3:30 p.m. PT). Live FAZ ticker for Bundesliga and Sky). Sievert initially followed Bo Svensson as interim coach in early November. Just before Christmas, he received a contract until June 30, 2026 inclusive.
Apart from his first game (2-0 against RB Leipzig), the former coach of Mainz’s second team has not won a single game and drawn six times. After Sunday’s 1-3 draw against Stuttgart, FSV sporting director Martin Schmidt reneged on his commitment to Siewert and announced a detailed analysis. “We will sit down together calmly and see what the next steps are. We need to change something, that’s clear,” said the Swiss. “It is clear that we clearly cannot continue to play like this. We need victories.”
Mainz are facing their first fall from the upper house since their promotion in 2009. They are already nine points behind first place without relegation, which is occupied by Union Berlin. The gap to the relegation place from 1. FC Cologne is four points. The 05ers have had great coaches in the past such as Jurgen Klopp and Thomas Tuchel. But even Svensson, who saved Mainz from relegation in 2021 and then finished the season eighth in the table, was not a permanent solution.
Source: Frantfurter Allgemeine
I am a sports journalist with over 10 years of experience covering news, events and stories from around the world. I have written for several online news outlets and have also been published in print magazines. I am currently working as an author at the World Herald News, where I cover primarily sports-related stories.